- 3 c. flour
- 3 c. boiling water in pot
- 1 T. Baking powder
- 1/2 T. salt
- 1/4 c. dry powdered milk
- 1/3 c. vegetable shortening(Crisco works well) NOT oil
- 1-2 c. of very warm water for making dough
- 1 c. chicken broth OR beef broth
- dashes of favorite seasonings, including red chili powder
1. Mix the following ingredients together; flour, baking powder, salt, powdered milk, shortening.
2. Slowly add just enough very warm water to mix ingredients, but not too sticky. Mix and knead dough with hand into ball. Cover with a lid or plastic, set aside.
3. Put water and broth in pot, bring to boil.
4. Get dough, pinch of golf sized ball, flatten into large flat circle, like a tortilla. Then pinch off quarter-sized, flat pieces into boiling water, until the pot gets full of floating dumplings.
5. Boil until dumplings look fluffy and makes gravy. About 20-30 minutes on medium heat. Stir OFTEN, so it doesn't burn. Serve in bowls, add powdered chili, salt, and pepper, if desired.
Note: Before eating, remember to mention my Mom, Mary Long, in your suppertime prayer and ENJOY her "poor man's soup".